Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thing 23: Final Thoughts

Before completing the 23 Things (Yay!) I had read a lot about Library 2.0 but hadn’t tried a lot of the tools, either from lack of time or lack of incentive. This project gave me both. That was part of what made it so valuable. Actually using a tool gives one a much better understanding of it—both how it works and how useful it is—than all the reading in the world. And I have found some useful tools. What surprised me along the way was to discover that I liked Facebook and Ning and found Second Life boring.

My favorite of the Things has to be Google Reader. It makes reading blogs and keeping up with podcasts possible. I would never have time if I had to hunt them down individually. For this it gets my vote as the most valuable of the Things. It is also the one that has changed my work habits the most. Other Things that are now a regular part of my work are the reference wiki and reference Delicious account I set up. Hopefully, these will become a regular part of my colleagues’ reference toolbox, as well.

If there is a sequel to 23 Things, sign me up.

No comments: