Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thing 3 RSS feeds

I have been meaning to try RSS feeds for what seems a long time now, so this is exciting. Signing up sounds really simple and mostly it is, although I found the Google page to be something less than transparent. This just means, of course, that I didn’t design it. What seems obvious to one person can be totally confusing to someone else. (Trust me, I’ve written user manuals and designed tutorials.)

This also gave me the excuse to sign up for the Unshelved feed. I love that comic, but never seem to remember to click on its bookmark. Will I find time now to click on my RSS reader?

Recommendations and serendipity may be the best way to find RSS feeds. Looking through lists and searching just seemed to be overwhelming. The Web sites you visit the most regularly are the most likely to have feeds you would be interested in seeing. I just found an interesting feed in the Library Journal—their In the Bookroom Blog: http://www.libraryjournal.com/blog/770000077.html

No comments: